1.3K views

I've worked for Visiting Angels for nearly a year and I am about ready to find a new job. While this job has been great work experience for a resume and I've worked with some making families, there are many cons.

If you decide to work there do not take any 24-hour shifts. Their rate of pay is $115 per 24-hour shift and you are allotted 7 hours of sleep. If you divide $115 dollars into 17 hours it comes out to 6-something an hour (aka you're getting ripped off). I don't know how they can legally do this but they do.

Second, the hours are unreliable. One week I was getting 75 hours a week, then before I knew it I had an entire week without work. If you have rent to pay this is not a reliable source of income. Third, I can't tell you how many times I would work a day shift and then they would call me saying that no one else could take this particular night shift and they were desperate.

While I can refuse to work a shift, I couldn't afford to say no because I was paying rent and they knew that I wouldn't say no. Finally, I've worked with some of worst clients imaginable.

I've been yelled at, slapped on the wrist, seen two clients fall, was nearly crushed by an obese woman, and I spent this past Christmas watching my client die while on hospice. It is one of the most underpaid, underappreciated jobs on the planet.

Comments

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #926676

Visiting Angels doesn't have any offices in Wyoming

You should look up the wage and labor laws! The live-in shift is based upon a 13 hour day with 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night.

You divide $115 by 13 hours. $8.84 is your hourly wage.

to Anonymous #984265

While you are correct, having to remain there for 24 hours is total b.s.

After two 4 day/night shifts I told my wife to quit this *** company. It was not worth it and screwing up our marriage.

to Anonymous #1048790

Since when does 13+5 = 24???

What you are describing is called "live in" someone should have explained it to you, and yes the pay and the hours of sleep are the same in some other agencies. What you should NOT have allowed from ANY client to be yelled and slapped on the wrist or any kind of abuse from the client to you, right away you should have report it to your agency.

An yes, we caregivers can spend time with clients that are dying while in hospice. It looks like you did not know what you were getting into.

I would suggest to ask about the job they are sending you, what you have to do and any information they can give you about your future client.

This will help you to decide if you want the job or not. Good luck to you!

Moscow, Moscow, Russian Federation #794890

I don't understand why people accept jobs for a certain wage and then complain about it. You're the dishonest one here, not the employer.

You ACCEPTED THE WORK.

Either way, the employer doesn't pay for any of this. Who is really paying? AN OLD PERSON WHO NEEDS CARE! Let's say that your employer is charging like $190 a day.

Do you realize that after all the taxes and insurance they're probably making like $30 per day? Of course not, because you're braindead.

As far as your hours go, what do you expect? Do you expect them to snap their fingers and create work for you out of thin air?

Why on earth do you assume they have hundreds of customers just sitting there waiting for you to become available? OMG people are so insane.

to Vladimir Bardstown, Kentucky, United States #937270

When someone tells u that's your pay and what u should be getting that's what you should get they shorted me 40 hrs so now what!!

to one***edchick 7 Moscow, Moscow, Russian Federation #941150

That wasn't written in the review I was responding to now was it?

You clearly do not know the wage and labor laws. You are paid for 13 hours not 17 hours.

You are also allowed to sleep and your meals are provided. Your supervisor can clearly explain the laws. 24 hours are equal to one day, it is a live in not a 24 hour shift.

It helps to clarify your pay before you accept a job. Shame on you!

Contact the department of Labor in your state and report them.By law they have to pay you at least the min. wage.You might even be entitled to back pay for not paying you what the law says.